As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lake St. Louis, MO, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying medical professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake St. Louis, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a school, you might want to analyze all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full range of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders making it very important that your course work is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the others. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are sometimes driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake St. Louis, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is handled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include several forms to complete. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that could be different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lake St. Louis, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake St. Louis, MO reviewed by Alexis REYES on June 3.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.