Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lake Wales, FL, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Wales, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, you will need to examine all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you will be taught the full range of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it crucial that your schooling is very extensive and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with others. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household will often be driven aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Wales, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain many forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs which can be completely different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Lake Wales, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lake Wales, FL reviewed by Stella SPENCER on June 11.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.