After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lansdowne, PA, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the best paying healthcare occupations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lansdowne, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain you will be taught the full range of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of issues and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are frequently pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you want to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Lansdowne, PA
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood Career Institute focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administrated by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include several forms to submit. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, as there will be several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lansdowne, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lansdowne, PA reviewed by Grayson POWELL on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.