Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Larkspur, CA, you are going to quickly discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying health care careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Larkspur, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a training program, make sure you consider all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside while students carry on their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you have to evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Larkspur, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
- Respiratory Therapy
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include many forms to fill out. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who may have needs that could be totally different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Larkspur, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Larkspur, CA reviewed by Levi REED on June 11.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.