Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Las Vegas, NV, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Las Vegas, NV
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, it is important to analyze all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full array of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some people online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are often times driven aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you need to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Las Vegas, NV
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? With the education you will receive at the Utah College of Massage Therapy, that career can be yours.
Massage therapy is a flexible and rewarding career in which you not only take care of others – you also take care of yourself! You can work in a resort spa, cruise ship, medical office, sports clinic, destination spa, or a day spa close to home. You can even start your own private practice!
Classes start September 5th
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In NV, licensing is handled by the Nevada State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include numerous forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Las Vegas, NV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Las Vegas, NV reviewed by Hudson FOSTER on June 15.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.