As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lebanon, MO, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lebanon, MO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a school, it is important to analyze all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain you will learn about the full range of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is very important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online training courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones will often be pushed aside while students pursue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you might like to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Lebanon, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is handled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to contain many forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs which are often different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Lebanon, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lebanon, MO reviewed by Lillian SIMPSON on June 1.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.