After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lebanon, NH, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lebanon, NH
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a school, it is important to examine all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain you will learn about the full variety of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders so it is crucial that your schooling is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the others. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be driven aside while students undertake their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you should take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lebanon, NH
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In New Hampshire, licensing is handled by the New Hampshire Occupational Therapy Governing Board . While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain quite a few forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which may be totally different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lebanon, NH that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lebanon, NH reviewed by Aaliyah KENNEDY on June 8.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.