Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Leesburg, FL, you should soon see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Leesburg, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, make sure that you consider all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important variable you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Leesburg, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include several forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs that will be very different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Leesburg, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Leesburg, FL reviewed by Autumn MATTHEWS on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.