Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Leesburg, FL, you should soon see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Leesburg, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, make sure that you consider all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important variable you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Leesburg, FL
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Mental Health Technology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include several forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs that will be very different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Leesburg, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Leesburg, FL reviewed by Autumn MATTHEWS on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.