As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lewisburg, TN, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lewisburg, TN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and pick a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured you will learn about the full variety of techniques needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often times pushed aside while students pursue their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing that you have to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lewisburg, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administered by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to contain several forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lewisburg, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lewisburg, TN reviewed by Samantha STEVENS on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.