When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lilburn, GA, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying health care careers that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lilburn, GA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a training program, it is very important to analyze all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident you will learn about the full variety of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training compared to others. In cases where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are oftentimes driven aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Lilburn, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administered by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include several forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs that will be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because there will be several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lilburn, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lilburn, GA reviewed by Easton ALEXANDER on June 4.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.