After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lindsay, CA, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lindsay, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a training program, make sure you think about all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you will be taught the full range of competencies required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to others. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you ought to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lindsay, CA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mainly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs that could be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because there will be many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lindsay, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lindsay, CA reviewed by Josiah BARNES on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.