After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lindsay, CA, you can expect to soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lindsay, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a training program, make sure you think about all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you will be taught the full range of competencies required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to others. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you ought to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Lindsay, CA
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
- Massage Therapy/Therapist
The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
Congratulations! Your interest in California College San Diego is an important first step toward changing your life. A career-focused degree is the key to a new career with a potentially higher income, better benefits, and more satisfaction.
- Respiratory Therapy (AS)
- Respiratory Therapy
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mainly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs that could be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because there will be many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lindsay, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lindsay, CA reviewed by Josiah BARNES on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.