When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Loma Linda, CA, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Loma Linda, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, make sure that you consider all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very diverse instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important feature you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you ought to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Loma Linda, CA
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include several forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs that could be very different compared to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since there will be many instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Loma Linda, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Loma Linda, CA reviewed by Michael WILSON on June 6.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.