When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Longwood, FL, you will soon find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying medical-related careers that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Longwood, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a training program, you will need to analyze all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very diversified rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you should consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Always find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Longwood, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include numerous forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that will be different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with young children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Longwood, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Longwood, FL reviewed by Naomi LANE on June 1.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.