As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Los Alamitos, CA, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying medical jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Los Alamitos, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a training program, it is important to think about all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident you will be taught the full range of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders so it is very important that your schooling is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family can be driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you should look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Los Alamitos, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain numerous forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs that may be very different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Los Alamitos, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Los Alamitos, CA reviewed by Adrian BAILEY on June 1.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.