As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Lynn Haven, FL, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lynn Haven, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, be sure that you analyze all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to be taught the full array of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is really important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to others. In cases where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household will often be pushed aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Lynn Haven, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Lynn Haven, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Lynn Haven, FL reviewed by Molly GREENE on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.