When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Maitland, FL, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying health care professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Maitland, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, make sure you think about all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders so it is crucial that your course work is very diverse instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important component you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other schools. In situations where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some people online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you might want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Maitland, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administered by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include a number of forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Maitland, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Maitland, FL reviewed by Trinity CHAVEZ on June 6.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.