When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Makawao, HI, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year making it among the best paying health care professions that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Makawao, HI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, be sure that you analyze all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will learn about the full range of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very extensive and not too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience as compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family tend to be pushed aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you might like to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Makawao, HI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In HI, licensing is administrated by the Hawaii Professional & Vocational Licensing Division. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain quite a few forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because you will have several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Makawao, HI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Makawao, HI reviewed by Serenity HAWKINS on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.