When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Manchester, MO, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it among the best paying medical jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Manchester, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a school, it is important to analyze all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full variety of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is very important that your course work is very extensive rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to others. In situations where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are oftentimes pushed aside as students carry on their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you want to evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Manchester, MO
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administered by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain several forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs which are often totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with infants who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Manchester, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Manchester, MO reviewed by Mia WEST on June 11.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.