When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Marinette, WI, you should quickly discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying medical-related careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marinette, WI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a school, you will need to evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you should examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Marinette, WI
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include many forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs that may be totally different compared to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will have many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Marinette, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Marinette, WI reviewed by Katherine STEPHENS on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.