As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Martin, TN, you will probably soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it amongst the highest paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Martin, TN
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a school, be sure that you think about all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are frequently driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you should evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Martin, TN
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is administered by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include many forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who may have needs that may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Martin, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Martin, TN reviewed by Harper WEBB on June 7.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.