After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in McMinnville, TN, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in McMinnville, TN
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a training program, be sure that you evaluate all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is very important that your training is very diverse rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with others. In cases where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in McMinnville, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is controlled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs that could be very different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near McMinnville, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in McMinnville, TN reviewed by Adrian BAILEY on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.