When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Menomonie, WI, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying medical professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Menomonie, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, it is important to analyze all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you will be taught the full variety of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is imperative that your course work is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to others. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for some online courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are often times pushed aside as students continue their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue that you should look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Menomonie, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administered by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to include many forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs which may be different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Menomonie, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Menomonie, WI reviewed by Mia WEST on June 16.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.