As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Miami Shores, FL, you will soon see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Miami Shores, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, be sure that you analyze all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full range of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders making it really important that your course work is very diverse instead of too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with other schools. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones can be pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Miami Shores, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain several forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs that will be totally different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Miami Shores, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Miami Shores, FL reviewed by Madeline ANDREWS on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.