As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Miami Springs, FL, you will probably quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Miami Springs, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, it is very important to think about all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your course work is very extensive and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another important factor you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison to others. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you might want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Miami Springs, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain many forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who may have needs which are often very different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as you will have many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Miami Springs, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Miami Springs, FL reviewed by Morgan ANDREWS on June 14.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.