After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Middleton, WI, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Middleton, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, you might want to consider all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diversified and not too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online classes can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you might like to check out before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Middleton, WI
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that may be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Middleton, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Middleton, WI reviewed by Ava WALLACE on June 5.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.