As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Mill Valley, CA, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mill Valley, CA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, be sure that you analyze all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders making it important that your training is very extensive rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are sometimes pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you might like to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Mill Valley, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year being mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is handled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Mill Valley, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mill Valley, CA reviewed by Carter ADAMS on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.