As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Moberly, MO, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying medical-related jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Moberly, MO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very diversified and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many of us online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often pushed aside while students continue their training and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you ought to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Moberly, MO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include several forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs which are often completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Moberly, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Moberly, MO reviewed by Brooklyn HUNTER on June 14.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.