Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Monroe, GA, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Monroe, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a school, you will need to consider all of your options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you are going to be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very extensive rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes pushed aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you might like to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Monroe, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain many forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Monroe, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Monroe, GA reviewed by Bryson GONZALES on June 2.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.