As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Monroe, WI, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the highest paying health care jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Monroe, WI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, it is very important to think about all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your course work is very wide-ranging and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other training programs. In cases where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of your class can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often times driven aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you should consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Monroe, WI
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include several forms to fill out. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs that may be totally different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Monroe, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Monroe, WI reviewed by Autumn MATTHEWS on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.