After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Moultrie, GA, you can expect to quickly see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying healthcare professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Moultrie, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a school, make sure you examine all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full range of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very diverse and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones tend to be driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Moultrie, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include a number of forms to complete. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that could be completely different compared to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Moultrie, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Moultrie, GA reviewed by Genesis ROSE on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.