After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Mount Juliet, TN, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying health care professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mount Juliet, TN
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, you might want to analyze all of your options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you will learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders so it is crucial that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are frequently driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you ought to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Mount Juliet, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is controlled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include several forms to fill out. Never pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Mount Juliet, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Mount Juliet, TN reviewed by Charles COOPER on June 13.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.