Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Nanticoke, PA, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the best paying health care occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Nanticoke, PA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, it is important to think about all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full variety of competencies needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health problems and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you need to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Nanticoke, PA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administered by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that is going to include several forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needs which may be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will have several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Nanticoke, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Nanticoke, PA reviewed by Jace LONG on June 4.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.