Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Nederland, TX, you are going to quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Nederland, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a school, it is important to evaluate all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are often times driven aside while students pursue their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you need to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Nederland, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include quite a few forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients which have needs that will be completely different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Nederland, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Nederland, TX reviewed by Ella FISHER on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.