As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in New Britain, CT, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Britain, CT
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a school, you might want to evaluate all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured you will learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it crucial that your course work is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other schools. In instances where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones can be pushed aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you ought to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Always find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in New Britain, CT
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Drug & Alcohol Treatment Specialist
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In CT, licensing is controlled by the Connecticut Department of Public Health Occupational Therapy Licensure. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that is going to include many forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs that will be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because there will be several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near New Britain, CT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Britain, CT reviewed by Chloe REYNOLDS on June 2.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.