As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in New Brunswick, NJ, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Brunswick, NJ
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, make sure that you analyze all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is really important that your training is very extensive instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you ought to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in New Brunswick, NJ
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
The College of Professional Studies (CPS) is where adults can find their home at Villanova University. No matter what your educational need, we’ll meet it.
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is administered by the New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near New Brunswick, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Brunswick, NJ reviewed by John SULLIVAN on June 11.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.