As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in New Brunswick, NJ, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Brunswick, NJ
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a school, make sure that you analyze all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders so it is really important that your training is very extensive instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you ought to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in New Brunswick, NJ
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is administered by the New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near New Brunswick, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Brunswick, NJ reviewed by John SULLIVAN on June 11.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.