Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in New Martinsville, WV, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Martinsville, WV
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a school, it is very important to consider all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other schools. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many people online courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item that you should have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in New Martinsville, WV
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In WV, licensing is controlled by the West Virginia Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include numerous forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near New Martinsville, WV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Martinsville, WV reviewed by Ella FISHER on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.