Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in New Martinsville, WV, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Martinsville, WV
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a school, it is very important to consider all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison with other schools. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many people online courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often driven aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item that you should have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in New Martinsville, WV
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In WV, licensing is controlled by the West Virginia Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include numerous forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near New Martinsville, WV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Martinsville, WV reviewed by Ella FISHER on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.