After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in New Port Richey, FL, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Port Richey, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a training program, it is very important to examine all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of skills required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders so it is really important that your training is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you might want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in New Port Richey, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include quite a few forms to complete. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients who may have needs which may be totally different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since there will be many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near New Port Richey, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in New Port Richey, FL reviewed by Madelyn BERRY on June 17.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.