After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Niceville, FL, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying medical careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Niceville, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you will be taught the full array of competencies required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very extensive instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones can be pushed aside as students pursue their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you ought to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Niceville, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that may be completely different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Niceville, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Niceville, FL reviewed by Reagan KELLEY on June 14.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.