After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Nixa, MO, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying medical-related professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Nixa, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a training program, you might want to examine all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full range of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual clinical training as compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you need to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Nixa, MO
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is controlled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain numerous forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs that could be different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as you will have many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Nixa, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Nixa, MO reviewed by Evelyn TUCKER on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.