Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Norfolk, MA, you can expect to soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying health care jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Norfolk, MA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, you might want to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident you will learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders making it crucial that your schooling is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant component you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the others. In situations where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you ought to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Norfolk, MA
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is administrated by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain numerous forms to complete. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which are often different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Norfolk, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Norfolk, MA reviewed by Alyssa HOLMES on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.