As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Norristown, PA, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Norristown, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, make sure you analyze all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of competencies required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very diverse instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical experience in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members tend to be pushed aside while students undertake their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you might like to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Norristown, PA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is administered by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with young children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will have several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Norristown, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Norristown, PA reviewed by Korey ALEXANDER on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.