Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in North Andover, MA, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the highest paying health care professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in North Andover, MA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, you will need to analyze all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important feature you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the other schools. In instances where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are sometimes driven aside as students pursue their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you should evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in North Andover, MA
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is administrated by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include many forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs that could be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near North Andover, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in North Andover, MA reviewed by T-Bone HILL on June 14.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.