Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in North Palm Beach, FL, you should soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying healthcare professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in North Palm Beach, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a school, you will need to examine all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured you will be taught the full array of competencies required to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health problems and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are frequently pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you should examine before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in North Palm Beach, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain numerous forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients that have needs which are often completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near North Palm Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in North Palm Beach, FL reviewed by Jocelyn ELLIOTT on June 12.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.