After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Northglenn, CO, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying medical professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Northglenn, CO
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, be sure that you analyze all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders therefore it is crucial that your course work is very extensive and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to others. In instances where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for some online courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family can be pushed aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you should look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Northglenn, CO
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Colorado, licensing is controlled by the Colorado Office of Occupational Therapist Registration. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include many forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs that may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Northglenn, CO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Northglenn, CO reviewed by Pat HOLMES on June 1.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.