Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Okmulgee, OK, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it among the highest paying health care professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Okmulgee, OK
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, you will need to think about all of the options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured you will learn about the full variety of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders so it is really important that your training is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual clinical training in comparison with others. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones tend to be pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you might like to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Okmulgee, OK
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Oklahoma, licensing is controlled by the Oklahoma State Board of Medical Licensure and Supervision. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain quite a few forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which may be very different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as there will be several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Okmulgee, OK that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Okmulgee, OK reviewed by Ava WALLACE on June 3.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.