As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Old Saybrook, CT, you will soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Old Saybrook, CT
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a training program, make sure you consider all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your course work is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you might want to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Old Saybrook, CT
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Connecticut, licensing is handled by the Connecticut Department of Public Health Occupational Therapy Licensure. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain numerous forms to submit. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs that will be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Old Saybrook, CT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Old Saybrook, CT reviewed by Kylie DUNN on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.