Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pacific Grove, CA, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pacific Grove, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a training program, you might want to think about all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are sometimes pushed aside as students carry on their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Pacific Grove, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain numerous forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs that could be totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Pacific Grove, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pacific Grove, CA reviewed by Samuel WALKER on June 13.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.