Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pacific Grove, CA, you should soon find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pacific Grove, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to select a training program, you might want to think about all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are sometimes pushed aside as students carry on their education and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Pacific Grove, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on learning in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain numerous forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs that could be totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Pacific Grove, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pacific Grove, CA reviewed by Samuel WALKER on June 13.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.