When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Palm Springs, FL, you can expect to quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palm Springs, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a school, be sure that you think about all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you are going to be taught the full array of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders making it crucial that your course work is very diverse and not too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant component you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual practical experience as compared to others. In cases where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones will often be pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you might want to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Palm Springs, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include many forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs which can be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Palm Springs, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Palm Springs, FL reviewed by Madeline PETERS on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.