As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pampa, TX, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly making it amongst the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pampa, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, it is important to evaluate all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders so it is imperative that your schooling is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another important feature you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other schools. In cases where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family will often be pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor that you have to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Pampa, TX
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain several forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that will be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Pampa, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pampa, TX reviewed by Elizabeth OWENS on June 15.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.