Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Parlier, CA, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the best paying medical-related vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parlier, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, it is important to think about all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders so it is crucial that your course work is very diverse and not too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another significant component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to the other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones will often be pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue that you have to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Parlier, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain a number of forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients that have needs which may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because there will be numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Parlier, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parlier, CA reviewed by Colton HOWARD on June 16.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.